Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rivella new Boro council president

Morrisville Borough Council member Nancy Sherlock resigns as president

By Petra Chesner Schlatter
BucksLocalNews.com


Dave Rivella receives the Morrisville Borough Council gavel from now former president Nancy Sherlock. (Photo by Petra Chesner Schlatter)


MORRISVILLE - Nancy Sherlock has resigned as president of Morrisville Borough Council. Councilman Dave Rivella has been named as her successor.

Sherlock made the announcement Jan. 11 when the agenda for the Jan. 17 meeting was set.

“It is my pleasure to serve as council president for the last few years here,” the longtime council member said. She thanked everyone for the opportunity to serve as council president.

“At this time you have a competent council person who would perform the duties professionally and enthusiastically," Sherlock said. "I would like to ask my colleagues that they would support this person I’m going to nominate but I have to hand over the gavel.”

She did not give a reason for her decision to step down as president, but she will remain on council, according to Dave Rivella.

Sherlock nominated Dave Rivella to serve as council president. Council Member Vic Cicero seconded the motion with the notation that council members were accepting Sherlock’s decision “to step down as council president and turn her chair over to Mr. Rivella.”

Council members voted 4-2 to appoint Rivella as president. Voting in favor of Rivella for the vacant presidential seat were Fred Kerner, Vic Cicero and Nancy Sherlock. Rivella voted for himself. Voting no were Eileen Dreisbach and Todd Sanford.

Vice President Kathryn Panzitta and Council Member Rhonda Davis were absent.

Mayor Rita Ledger, who typically doesn't vote unless there is a tie, was not present.

Sherlock then handed the gavel over to Rivella.

“I can’t say enough what an honor it is to be the one named by Nancy,” Rivella said. “I certainly have been mentored...

“Even though I wear a size 13 boot, I don’t know if I can fill her shoes, but I’ll do my best for the community,” he jokingly said. “The people who have known me for a few years up here know that my heart’s in helping the community.”

Rivella continued by saying, “I will put partisan politics aside when I sit up here. I want to do what I feel is right for the entire betterment of the borough. And that’s exactly what I intend to do.

“As president, I will do my best,” he continued. “Thank you to those who just supported me. I look forward to working with everyone.”

Sherlock serves in the second ward, which includes Bridge Street. Rivella serves in the fourth ward which includes Grandview Estates near Snipes Farm.

Before stepping down as president, she told BucksLocalNews.com about projects for 2011, noting that the council looks forward to finishing the Bridge Street project with the banners and the streetlights.

According to Sherlock, the borough council’s goals for 2011 would be:

- to continue to beautify the downtown and hopefully clear up the finances of the pool;

- to move to stage two of the Riverfront Preserve Project;

- to see some development in the area known as the Cloverleaf;

- for construction to begin at the Stockham building this year; and

- to start on an LED pilot program.

Sherlock serves in the second ward, which includes Bridge Street. Rivella serves in the fourth ward which includes Grandview Estates near Snipes Farm.