Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Jackie Buckman can put out a puff piece too

Congressman could learn from his predecessors
Bucks County Courier Times
To be a congressman you need to be responsible for your actions and respond to the needs of your constituents. I would like to compare three congressmen that served the 8th District.

First, Peter Kostmayer: When on two occasions I asked him questions, first, about retirement legislation and second, about Social Security, he responded quickly and to the point in a clear, helpful, and concise letter.

Next, Mike Fitzpatrick, a dear friend: When I requested a flag for a special ceremony, he delivered at almost midnight direct to my friend's house, having just got off the train from Washington. The flag had flown over the Capitol.

Another time I called Fitzpatrick's office to obtain special copies of my discharge record in order to get a job in the security field. When he found out that I could not start work without these papers, he wrote a letter to the security firm on my behalf and I started immediately. The papers arrived two weeks later.

Lastly, Patrick Murphy: When I called his office in August of 2009 about a health care program introduced to help younger adults get health insurance at a low cost, his assistant told me I would have to call his Washington office; when I called that location they said that they would get back to me. I never did receive a response.

In late September or October of 2009 I found out that Blue Cross was increasing the cost of supplemental plans, while the government was not increasing Social Security payments. I wanted to know why, so I called Patrick Murphy's office in Washington. I was told that they were aware of this situation and they would call me back. Not only did they not return my call, they never even asked for my address to send a response to my inquiry.

Jack Buckman

Morrisville