Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Galloway wins in the 140th district, defeats Jane Burger

State Representative 140th District

By: Christian Menno
Bucks County Courier Times
1 seat n 2 years

The district includes Bristol, Morrisville, Tullytown, Falls, two districts in Bristol Township and one district in Middletown.

Republican Jane Burger 6,413

Democrat John Galloway (I) 10,954

Vote totals don't include absentee ballots, which haven't been counted yet.

State Rep. John Galloway has won a third term, defeating Republican candidate Jane Burger for the 140th Assembly seat Tuesday.

"I am humbled and honored that the voters in my district once again elected me to represent them in Harrisburg," said Galloway, a Democrat. "I ran on my record of achievement with a positive, issues-oriented campaign and I was proud of that. I look forward to addressing the many challenges ahead of me."

His opponent, Republican Jane Burger, said she was proud of her numbers even though more than 63 percent of voters - not including those casting absentee ballots - supported Galloway.

"It was an uphill battle in a heavy Democratic district," Burger said Tuesday. "We knew it was going to be a tough fight, but I am happy with the support that I received. It shows that the voters are beginning to look at the candidates and not just voting along party lines. Voters will be watching to make sure that Galloway works for the people and not for special interest groups. He worked for his re-election, and I wish him well."

Galloway now will have a chance to show his effectiveness as a legislator without the benefit of per diems - the daily expense allowance lawmakers are entitled to without producing receipts. Galloway, 50, said he has sworn off per diems after last year, when he took home one of the highest totals in the House.

He went to Harrisburg in 2006 as a legislator who ran on a reform platform. He became the only state representative to introduce legislation seeking a referendum calling for a constitutional convention.

"I want to shift from a local property tax to a state tax," he added Tuesday after the election. "That could either be an income tax or a sales tax that will change the way we fund our schools. And I want a constitutional convention to do it."

- Christian Menno